Motherhood


The most challenging yet fulfilling aspect of my life so far...


Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Seven Months

Just over seven months and sick for the first time. Tonsillitis. It has been lame for all of us but especially for Jonas. Last week started off great - I began my Pilate's classes, Jonas and I had our first swim lesson together, baby group, dinner with friends and then BANG!! First Jonas was grumpy and acting very different and then within a couple of hours, fever and total irritability. So fast.
And for those of you reading this with multiple kids, saying ya ya whatever, well this was our first time. Kids just get so sick!
We saw the doc and after taking his temp, which was 39deg, he checked everything else and when he saw his throat he was like yes tonsillitis. I asked if tonsillitis is related to thrush, like serious thrush, but he said no that that wasn't it. Just wondering. I wonder if it has anything to do with it????
Anyway. He had the fever for a couple days, slept lots, cried at night.
Now that the fever has broke he is just a little grumpy and absolutely refuses to leave my side (or I mean let me leave HIS side). We are sleeping together and he spends the day in the sling or the ergo carrier (I bought the Ergo after the Bjorn went missing after our Vic trip this summer)
These last few days have been long and trying. But a big glass of wine and a few minutes alone each night while Daddy tends to Jonas is all I need...hehe, and NO I am not an alcoholic....Mums need a quick unwind sometimes too.
Jonas, of course, has kept on eating solids right through his sickness. He is a big eater and will complain when he doesn't get his applesauce or sweet potatoes or whatever else is on the menu that day. Although he is eating solids, Jonas still nurses quite abit; maybe every four hours or so. I am wondering when my period will arrive? It could be anytime I suppose. I wonder what the chances of getting pregnant again without getting a real period is. I know that I could ovulate first and get prego before ever having a period. Hmm, well, its a topic that has been discussed and if it happens then that's just great. We go back and forth, actually. Sometimes we want it to happen now and sometimes we talk about it happening in like 5 years from now or maybe never...we'll see.
My first best friend ever died recently. I had not talked to her in many many years and had only recently reconnected with her via the currently popular FACEBOOK.. Her death was tragic; the event has brought me back in time. I pulled out old journals and diaries. I must have started writing about my life quite soon after I learned to write because my first journals were about me and Larisa. I remembered what a magical time that age was. We spent our time climbing trees, building go carts and being 100% wild and free. We must have been 7 or 8 at the time. Childhood is so precious and short and I must say that mine was pretty great. I hope that Jonas will experience the innocence and freedom that I was so lucky to have.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that Jonas is feeling better soon - already I am dreading the first fever or illness when you feel like you can't do anything to help your little one!
I am also very sorry to hear about your friend Larisa. From the comments of her friends on the news and Reesh's comments, she sounds like a pretty amazing person. A loss like that is always difficult - especially when it brings back such strong memories. My thoughts are with you!

Reesh said...

Seven months already!!!! How did that happen!!

It's so strange that you got to reconnect with Larisa just before she died. You probably would have read about it in the papers regardless of whether you found each other on facebook, but I wonder if it's made it harder or easier for you since you had been in touch recently. In any case, if there's anything you would like to know about Larisa, anything you are wondering about, I would be happy to fill in some blanks for you if I can. Also, if you have any photos of her, I am putting together a slide show for her celebration on Oct. 22.

I hope Jonas is feeling better now. It sucks when they get sick, whether it's a little cold or tonsillitis, it's never fun watching your child suffer in any way.

lisalou said...

I am sorry about Larissa. Did you know that both Marussia and I went to Malaspina (Theatre Program) with her?
A very sad thing, Marussia and Larissa were very close. If you go to her Facebook you can find info about her memorial.