Motherhood


The most challenging yet fulfilling aspect of my life so far...


Saturday, August 25, 2007

All Grown Up

Jonas is a big boy now. Well, not quite, I suppose, but he now has (as Jordan and I call it) HUMAN POO. Gone are the purely breast fed yellow and pleasant smelling baby poops; now we have the real stuff. Jonas still mainly breastfeeds, but he does have small amounts of solids 2-3 times a day. Last week was sweet potatoes, this week has been apples.

I can tell you, nothing feels more natural and satisfying than going over to Jerry and Jill's and picking apples and plums from the trees, peas from the garden and berries from the bushes. It feels so good to take this stuff home and prepare it for Jonas and us.

Without alot of conscious effort, our diet has been very 'raw' this summer. On the whole I am feeling quite good and healthy, considering I still feed Jonas throughout the night. I recently bought a dehydrator and have been using it non stop making crackers, veggie chips, sun burgers and nori chips. In a week or so I would like to start dehydrating apples, pears and anything else I can find around the property. I am also going to make lots of applesauce. Anyone out there know what would be healthiest - canning the applesauce or freezing it??

Jordan just got back from spending a couple of days hiking at Strathcona Park. Of course I was a little jealous, but I think it was a good little break for all of us. Just to have some time alone.Jill spent an afternoon with Jonas and I laid out in the sun and started reading The Birth House by Ami McKay at Rebecca Spit. It was such a treat! Usually when we have someone take care of Jonas, Jordan and I will go out and do something like hike, run, clean - always something active. It was just nice to be lazy for a few hours! While I had time alone, Jill took Jonas in his new stroller through the community centre trails and then down to the ocean for a swim. They then ate black berries all the way home - Jonas is still pooping out the seeds! Anyway, Jonas was very happy and I think it was absolutely wonderful that he went on this little adventure with Jill and had some time to connect with her. Jonas is very lucky (and we all are!) because there are 3 SETS of grandparents - and soon they will all live nearby! My parents will be moving from the Kootenays in the next couple of months!!

After spending the summer in the trailer aka 'The Family Cottage', we are moving back into our house! We made a little money, so it was definitely worth the sacrifice but I must say that we are all more than ready to be back home. Just in time for Jonas's crawling...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh - I read The Birth House a little while ago and loved it!!! It was such an interesting story. Glad you had some nice relaxing down time to yourself - I'm sure it was very well deserved!

lisalou said...

I LOVE THAT BOOK! And all of your new photos!