Motherhood


The most challenging yet fulfilling aspect of my life so far...


Monday, May 7, 2007

Jonas is 10 Weeks!

The transition into Mumhood has been smooth. Well, mostly. I am happy and fullfilled and I think that all my motherly instincts have surfaced one way or another. My only obstacle is sometimes wrapping my mind around the whole Mumhood thing. What I mean is that things that I now really care about, on a day to day basis include such seemingly ridiculous things such as the color of baby poo, where to have baby sleep for naps...

Saturday was International Midwife day, so we went to our midwife's centre for some celebrating. It was nice to chat with our midwives once again and also meet some other new moms. At one point there was a row of us sitting in lawn chairs, nursing the little ones. I am not sure if it was because I was still alittle out of it from being sick, but it felt like my brain was in a foggy mush state. Jordan said I repeated myself a couple of times in conversation. I felt abit ditzy! Have I turned into a mum ditz? I hope not. Maybe everyone felt the same, maybe not. Maybe this is normal and it will pass.

On the weekend we set up a crib for Jonas so that he has a consistent place for napping. I am not sure how this will work. He always sleeps with us and will continue to do so. For naps, we have just been putting him on his matt, in his swing, in a sling etc... I figure its time for him to have a designated nap place. So far its only worked for about 30 minutes and then he wakes up. Today I tried to put him in and he was fine for abit and then he fussed and cried. I would take him out and console him, settle him and then put him back. We did that 4 or 5 times and it never worked. I ended up putting him in his swing and he passed out. I wonder if it matters for him to have different napping places? Anyone out there with some feedback? Experiences?

2 comments:

Reesh said...

I had the same thoughts about getting Lily used to the crib for naps so whenever we did decide to end co-sleeping it wouldn't be so weird to suddenly be in a crib. But I never could get her down without her waking up. In the end it was more important to me that she just got her nap so i stopped worrying about it. When we did transition her it was definitely an adjustment but I think it probably would have been so had we put her in her crib for naps or not. Now of course she sleeps fine in her own bed, naps included.

Good luck! And yes, enjoy this wonderful weather that is LONG overdue!

lisalou said...

My friend lindsay call her post-baby forgetfulness "the mommy dummies"...I think it passses.